03/02/2011

There was a moment that I lay on the top of a grassy hill, on my back, at night. There were no lights anywhere, and the hill was high enough that nothing was in my field of vision but the sky. I lay there and stared up at the stars, and suddenly, a strange thing happened, something I had never experienced before and never have since.

I felt as though, in that moment, I perceived the universe from a perspective that was actually accurate, in terms of scale. I was a micron gazing at the immense ALL. I could feel myself moving through the universe so slowly that time almost seemed to cease existing.

I was looking at the stars today, at the constellation Orion mostly. It is my favorite. I was wondering if anyone in the thousands of years that humanity has existed had ever felt before what I felt. If a more primitive mind could still, from that same experience, derive the interpretation that I came to, even without any knowledge of astronomy.

1 comment:

  1. Have you watched MindWalk? Be patient with it. I think you would enjoy it.

    I'm sorry to say that I have had a moment or so like this. I'm sorry to say that I believe there are a few others. And then at the same time I am so glad, for alone, might we think we're mad?

    xo
    erin

    ReplyDelete